How your purchase is helping communities worldwide.
- Supporting more than 130 partners in 35 countries
- Delivering employment, income and social support to more than 50,000 people
- Assisting recovery in Nepal, India and Vanuatu after earthquakes, floods and cyclones
- Bringing $19.5 million worth of products to Australian shelves in the last five years
- Supplying 22,532 kilograms of Fair Trade coffee to the Australian market in the last 12 months
Mimih Spirits by Gabriel Maralngurra
• Handmade with traditional Kashmiri rug-making techniques
• Made with hand dyed wool
• Heavy cotton backing with anti-slip surface
• Comes with a fold-over to allow for rods to pass through for hanging
These beautiful unique rugs are a cross-cultural collaboration combining Aboriginal designs and traditional Kashmiri rug-making techniques. Each rug is a completely handmade piece. This project is unusual because the rug is owned by the artists, rather than licensed to a third party. A more empowering way to work, this brings many direct benefits to the artists' and their community. Control and ownership of intellectual property are also maintained. Purchase of these rugs guarantees a direct return to the Aboriginal artist and their community.
Better World Arts
Better World Arts (BWA) has been operating for over two decades. They work with Australian Aboriginal artists from remote communities across Australia. Artists benefit from royalties paid to them on a monthly basis and art centres benefit from a substantial profit share paid on their investments. Having culturally appropriate opportunities, artists are able to supplement rural income by practicing age old traditions in their own homes located in remote beautiful villages.
Write Your Own Review
Sign up to our Weekly Newsletter
Drumbeat is Oxfam Shop's eNewsletter featuring weekly updates, special offers and more