How your purchase is helping communities worldwide.
- Supporting more than 130 partners in 35 countries
- Delivering employment, income and social support to more than 50,000 people
- Assisting recovery in Nepal, India and Vanuatu after earthquakes, floods and cyclones
- Bringing $19.5 million worth of products to Australian shelves in the last five years
- Supplying 22,532 kilograms of Fair Trade coffee to the Australian market in the last 12 months
A beautiful piece of hand carved soapstone from Kenya shaped into a bowl with detailed carvings of African animals. Native to Kenya, kisii is a soft soapstone well-suited to carving. Its satiny finish is achieved through multiple stages of sanding, followed by waxing. This kisii stone piece was created by carvers working with Nyabigena Soapstone Carvers, helping artisans find fair trade markets for their craft.
Made from: Soapstone
Please note: Not to be washed; wipe with a dry cloth
African Animals Soapstone Platter$59.95
Nyabigena Soapstone Carvers Cooperative
The Nyabigena Soapstone Carvers Cooperative is a non-profit grassroots group based in Kenya, which sells soapstone carvings, both locally and for export, to increase the standard of living of their community.
The group of 150 members (120 men and 30 women) was registered as a soapstone marketing cooperative in Kenya in 1990.
The Nyabigena Soapstone Carvers Cooperative is a member of the World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO).
The Cooperative offers management training workshops, educational opportunities for widows and orphans, and health and nutrition education. They plan to start a tree nursery and to expand their educational and HIV/AIDS programs.
Write Your Own Review
Sign up to our Weekly Newsletter
Drumbeat is Oxfam Shop's eNewsletter featuring weekly updates, special offers and more