How your purchase is helping communities worldwide.
- Supporting more than 130 partners in 35 countries
- Delivering employment, income and social support to more than 50,000 people
- Assisting recovery in Nepal, India and Vanuatu after earthquakes, floods and cyclones
- Bringing $19.5 million worth of products to Australian shelves in the last five years
- Supplying 22,532 kilograms of Fair Trade coffee to the Australian market in the last 12 months
These candles smell as good as they look and have been made with care by the artisans at Silence.
Silence is a self-help movement for those who can neither speak nor hear except visually, and others who cannot go anywhere except in their imagination, and yet who aspire towards self-sufficiency and acceptance as contributing members of society.
Made from: Paraffin wax with Bengali spice scent
Please note: Never leave a burning candle unattended.
Bengali Spice Candle
Regular Price: $14.95
Special Price $10.00
Silence works with people with hearing, visual and physical impairments, training them in computer data entry, hardware assembly and various handcrafts. In Silence's Calcutta unit, 67 out of 82 employees have disabilities and all receive regular salary, medical and providence fund benefits, which they would not receive otherwise. In 2002, Silence received the Helen Keller Award from the Indian National Council for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People, which praised Silence for combining smart business sense with a social commitment to deliver a remarkable model of economic and social rehabilitation.
The group is highly skilled in candle making, producing a wide variety of candles in different colours, interesting shapes and features such as cinnamon inlays. The group also produces hand-carved wooden products such as incense holders and home wares.
Write Your Own Review
Sign up to our Weekly Newsletter
Drumbeat is Oxfam Shop's eNewsletter featuring weekly updates, special offers and more