How your purchase is helping communities worldwide.
- Supporting more than 130 partners in 35 countries
- Delivering employment, income and social support to more than 50,000 people
- Assisting recovery in Nepal, India and Vanuatu after earthquakes, floods and cyclones
- Bringing $19.5 million worth of products to Australian shelves in the last five years
- Supplying 22,532 kilograms of Fair Trade coffee to the Australian market in the last 12 months
Sheesham wood is part of the rosewood family, and known under many enchanting names such as Shishan, Shisham, Sissoo or Sisu ( bot. Dalbergia sissoo).This beautiful shade tree is grown throughout the sub-Himalayan region, from the Indus to Assam. The wood is durable, insect-resistant and easily carved. For centuries the specialized skills of carving, inlaying, assembling, sanding and polishing have been passed down within families. Carving, especially the intricate jali work (small scale perforated lattice work) requires the most skill; one traditional floral pattern might require six or more types of chisels and punches. Jodhpur and Saharanpur are renowned for their furniture and craft products made form sheesham wood.
Five beautiful hand cut and polished, brass inlaid sheeshamwood dice. They come in their own dice box (for that extra big roll!).
Dimensions: Box 6.5cm cube, dice 2cm.
Please note: Wax and polish from time to time. Most pieces are hand waxed the traditional way and not varnished or lacquered. Expect the pieces to age and antique with time.Try to minimise contact with heat, whether natural sunlight or radiators as this will reduce th
Write Your Own Review
Sign Up to our Weekly Newsletter Drumbeat