Chocolate Hazelnut Easter Egg Cake
- 250g Unsalted Butter (chopped)
- x2 95g blocks Oxfam fair Dark Chocolate (chopped)
- 330mL Milk
- 300g Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 220g Plain Flour
- 40g Self Raising Flour
- 25g Cocoa
- 40g Ground Roasted Hazelnuts
CHOCOLATE GANACHE ICING
- 400g Oxfam fair Dark Chocolate (chopped)
- 160mL Thickened Cream
- Oxfam fair Organic Drinking Chocolate (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C fan forced).
- Place the butter, chocolate, milk, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat and stir slowly until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly, approx 10-15 minutes.
- Pour into a large bowl, add the eggs and whisk to combine. Sift in the flours and cocoa, add the ground hazelnut and whisk until smooth.
- Pour into a lightly greased 20cm round cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper and cook for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre has moist crumbs clinging. Allow to cool completely in the cake tin.
- To make the ganache, heat the cream in a saucepan over a low heat until reaches a rolling boil. Allow to boil on lowest setting for 2 minutes, then remove from heat and add chocolate.Stir until completely smooth (you may need to return to a low heat, stirring until it has no lumps). Set aside to cool slightly.
- Once cake is completely cooled, carefully cut in half. Spread one half with dark chocolate spread, then sandwich cake back together.
- Using a large serrated knife (e.g. a bread knife), gradually carve out the shape of an Easter egg. Remember - don’t take off too much!! Only a little at a time until you have the shape you are after. Once you have reached your desired shape, with clean hands, gently press the cake to adhere any small crumbs.
- Stir ganache, heat slightly (in 10 second intervals) in microwave if necessary. Consistency should be pourable, but not too runny. Place cake on a cooling rack suspended over a tray and carefully and evenly pour the ganache over the entire cake. Once most of the drips have stopped, lightly dust the entire cake with the drinking chocolate through a sieve.
- Transfer the cake to your serving platter, dress with a ribbon and serve.
To download a copy of the recipe click here
Recipe provided by Angela Hall from The Essential Cupcake
Expertly crafted in Belgium by experienced chocolatiers our indulgent dark chocolate is made from the finest single origin cocoa sourced from the Ivory Coast.
The smooth texture is reflective of the cocoa origin from which it hails. In the low elevations of West Africa, rich soils and the humidity of the tropics create a fruitful and lush environment for native cacao.
100% Fairtrade INGREDIENTS.
Our cocoa is sourced in line with Fairtrade labour standards and is forced and child labour free.
Stockists: Independent Supermarkets, On the Run, Harris Farm, ONLINE or in Oxfam Shops around the country.Learn More
Sign up to our Weekly Newsletter
Drumbeat is Oxfam Shop's eNewsletter featuring weekly updates, special offers and more