Fish Fillets with Za'atar Tomato Relish
Here is an easy and delicious way to use Canaan Za’atar. This recipe works with simple side dishes – sautéed spinach, sliced cucumbers or crisp salad, and bread, rice or couscous. You need to start about 30 minutes before cooking the fish.
Measurements are approximate; you can use more of anything, or substitute your favorite fish or onion. Only the Za'atar is indispensable!
- 4 white fish fillets (about 450 grams)
- 1 tsp + ½ tsp Canaan Za’atar
- 1 small shallot or other sweet onion, chopped fine
- 1 large tomato, chopped coarse
- 3 tsp olive oil
- fresh-ground pepper to taste
Method (serves 2-4 people)
- Pat fish fillets dry and sprinkle both sides with Za’atar, rub in. Cover loosely and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, mix the onion, tomato, olive oil, reserved Za’atar, and pepper to taste. Let sit for 30 minutes while flavours blend.
- To cook the fish, heat 2 tsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add fish, presentation side down, and cook 2 minutes. Gently flip fish and cook about 2 additional minutes, until fish flakes.
- Serve with Za’atar tomato relish on top, or on the side, and pass extra at the table.
"Sahha ow Afyeh": Bon Apetit!
Sign up to our Weekly Newsletter
Drumbeat is Oxfam Shop's eNewsletter featuring weekly updates, special offers and more