Rustic Coffee Mud Cake
- 400g Brown Sugar
- 1½ Cups Strong Oxfam fair World Blend Coffee
- 250g Butter
- 2x 95g Oxfam fair Dark Chocolate (chopped)
- 2 Eggs
- 190g Plain Flour
- 55g Self Raising Flour
- 25g Cocoa
- 10ml Vanilla Extract
- 125g Cream
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 175g Unsalted Butter
- 10g Sea Salt Flakes
SALTED CARAMEL FILLING
- 250g Unsalted Butter
- 125g Icing Sugar
- 200g Salted Caramel
- (as above)
- 40g Hot Water
CHOCOLATE GANACHE ICING
2x 95g Oxfam fair Dark Chocolate
200g Pouring Cream
- Mix the sugar, butter and chocolate in a saucepan and heat slowly and then add the coffee. Stir the mixture on a gradual heat until the sugar has dissolved, taking care to not let the mixture boil. Pour the mixture into a bowl and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs into the chocolate mixture, and gradually sift and combine dry ingredients.
- Pour into a greased 8 inch round cake tin with a baking paper lined base. Bake at 150°C for 1 hour or until cooked. Set aside to cool.
- To make the Salted Caramel gradually dry melt sugar on low heat in a heavy bottomed pan.
- In a separate saucepan, heat the cream and bring to a low simmer.
- When the liquid sugar reaches a hazelnut brown and all the granules have melted start to add the cream and stir continuously. Once all the cream has combined with the sugar remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl to rest for 5 minutes.
- Add the butter in nobs and whisk until it has all dissolved and stir through salt.
- To make the Salted Caramel Filling, cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer and add the salted caramel. Gradually add hot water and when all the water is added beat on fast until light and fluffy.
- To make the Ganache, heat the cream and glucose over a low heat. When the cream comes to a low boil pour mixture over the chocolate in a bowl and mix until smooth and glassy.
- Once cake is completely cooled, carefully cut in half. Spread one half with the Salted Caramel frosting and sandwich back together.
- Stir ganache to ensure the consistency is pourable but not runny. Place cake on a cooling rack suspended over a tray and carefully and evenly pour the ganache over the entire cake. For a rustic look allow the ganache to trickle over the edges. Place a few handfuls of berries in the centre of your cake to decorate.
- Transfer the cake to your serving platter and serve.
To download a copy of the recipe click here.
Recipe provided by Angus Maxwell Stewart - The Flinders Street Project
Oxfam fair’s World Blend Coffee is made up of 100% Fairtrade certified organic Arabica Beans from Ethiopia, Honduras, Papua New Guinea, and Indonesia.
A rich and intense coffee blend, suitable for all coffee styles. A combination of sweet, soft tasting Arabica beans combined with tones of fruit and berries make this coffee distinct and full-bodied with a delicate finish of bright acidity.
Taste Profile: Intense coffee with a full flavour, smooth finish and sweet aroma.
100% Fairtrade ingredients.Learn More
Sign up to our Weekly Newsletter
Drumbeat is Oxfam Shop's eNewsletter featuring weekly updates, special offers and more